Bob Dylan said it best . . . "The first thing you notice about New Orleans are the burying grounds - the cemeteries - and they are a cold proposition, one the the best things there are here."
New Orleans' past and present cultures merge most intriguingly in her cemeteries, where you'll learn about the remarkable history of New Orleans and relive the stories of her people. Walk with us as we guide you through New Orlean's oldest cemetery, St, Louis #1, where we explore the our unique burial customs and the history of the city memorialized within the cemetery walls. You'll witness the interesting architecture that represents our unusual burial methods and step back in time to in this informative walk through New Orleans history. Learn about
- The history, irony and tragedy that shape our history
- Extraordinary architecture of the cemeteries
- Unusual burial methods still in use
- Interesting and famous people buried in St. Louis #1
We delve into the misunderstood practice of voodoo, exploring its:
- West African origins and catholic influences
- Fascinating tales of New Orleans' most interesting characters
- Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau and sites where mystical Voodoo rituals still take place
This tour is about one hour and 45 minutes to two hours. Total walking distance is about a mile. Guides stop at important sites to share the history and importance of the site.
Don't miss this unforgettable tour that combines two of New Orleans most interesting curiosities!
$25 for adults (13 yrs and up)
$12 for children (6 to 12)
Cemetery and Voodoo Tours begin at:
10:30am and 1:15pm Monday through Saturday
Little Vic’s Cafe
New Orleans, LA 70130 map
Please arrive 15 minutes before the tour leaves.